Friday, September 29, 2006

That's BIG Tex to you, bitch.

Today marks the opening day of the State Fair of Texas. Staying classy at the State Fair is a hard thing to do especially when you have mustard on your newly purchased personalized airbrush t-shirt, beer on your shoes and powdered sugar on your face. But hey that's what it's all about. Whoa! Check out how fast that farris wheel is going! Remind me not to ride that thing!
Maybe this year I will garner up enough courage to get on the Zipper, but I doubt it. Give me the Conquistador all day long - but that Zipper.... eesh. For some reason that thing just wigs me out. I will pretty much get on any roller coaster there is, but I cannot force myself onto that summuvabitch. I think it stems back to my adolesence when I rode the Gravitron (in some circles, it's known as the Flying Saucer) at the Howard County fair. It took me about an hour and half with my head between my knees to recover from that - the whole round and round thing doesn't really agree with me.
Alright, enough with boring stories from my childhood onto what everyone really wants to talk about - the food. Without further adieu (sp?), The Stay Classy Dallas Fair Food Preview.

This year's new additions -
Fried Coca-Cola- Basically what we have here is Coke batter balls deep fried then topped with a cola syrup and some powdered sugar. Sounds interesting. I will give this guy props for originality, but who really hears Fried Coke and thinks... I gotta have that - not most. I will try it. ***
Fried Cosmopolitan - This is a deep fried pasty filled with creme, then topped with a raspberry glaze, then skewered... this one is kind of a stretch. I think someone is trying to capitalize on the Dallas douche by calling a fried pastry topped with raspberry sauce a Cosmopolitan, I think I will pass. *- for trying to pass off something that it ain't
Fried Macaroni & Cheese - Battered macaroni balls, exactly how it sounds. This one is right in my wheel house. I will def. have to try this one. My only worry is how the cheese is going to hold up in the fryer, I am afraid the chese will come out at temperatures close to that of a nuclear reactor.****
Fried Pralines - A battered and fried praline. Too easy. Pralines are delicious, of course they would taste good battered and fried. This guy need to take some nods from the Fried Coke guy. *- for originality

Here are some Stay Classy ideas for next year, if you wanna get in on the ground level, contact me this weekend.
Fried Matzoball Soup - We start with a Matzoball, marinate it in chicken broth, then batter it in pancake batter and deep fry it. It is then topped with giblet gravy and Rocky Road ice cream.
Fried Oysters Rockafeller - We start with a fresh oyster, then we wrap in bacon and toss it in Hollandaise sauce, it is then frozen overnight. We then batter it in pancake batter and fry it. It is topped with ranch dressing and anchovies and served with a can of Hawaiian Punch.
Fried Zanex - We start with a rice crispy treat filled with Zanex tabs and gummy bears, it is then wrapped in corned beef and dipped in au jus. Then it is battered in pancake batter and fried. It is served in a bowl of shrimp gumbo.

So there you have it. The State Fair is always a good time and it kinda ushers in the Fall - which I welcome with open arms. Plus we've got TXOU next weekend, which is always great.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fried Macaroni balls are a fantastic treat. They are available at Twisted Root - the buger place across from Adair's.

I recommend them and will be enjoying them this year at the Fair.

Btw - What ever happened to "The FARE" strip club? It used to have great specials every year for the 17 days the State Fair runs...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I drove by the Fare strip club last night - looked like a ghost town.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one fried oyster rockafeller please--the hawaiian punch put it over the top

-phil

12:05 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

the only that better than Hawaiian Punch is luke warm Hawaiian Punch.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Sara Eleta said...

I've gotta say that I've never been this excited about the fair in my life!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home