Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ron Mueck @ the Modern Art Museum of Ft. Worth

This past weekend I went to the Ft. Worth Museum of Modern Art and checked out the featured exhibit - Scupltures by Ron Mueck. Ron Mueck is an Australian born artist who lives in England and creates incredibly realistic sculptures of people complete with silicon skin and human hair. If you have an opportunity to get to Ft. Worth and check it out, I highly recommend it. The sculptures look so fragile and realistic that you think they are gonna come to life, which I am convinced they do in the middle on the night, while the museum is closed. He uses scale to express emotion in his sculptures, some are 2 ft. tall, others are 10 ft. Ron Mueck was creature creator for Jim Henson productions, his more notable works include the awesome film, The Dark Crystal and also The Labrynth.
You can see some of that likeness in his sculptures, here are some of the works you'll find at the exhibit:
This is his self-portrait:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Dark Crystal scared me pretty badly when I was little.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

I remember it being pretty disturbing as well, but I was really intrigued by it - those longlegged rabbits they rode really creeped me out. I def. watched it every time it every time it came on the Disney Channel.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Bill Bredesen said...

Must've been a neat exhibit, Matt. Here's another guy who did the same sort of thing:

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/duane_hanson.htm

Duane Hanson's schtick was to re-create mundane scenes of middle America. I've seen neither artist's work in person, but I'll look into Mueck to see whether he's coming to "a theatre near me."

Be in touch, pal.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Sara Eleta said...

Man, I wish I could've seen that.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home